Sunday, May 2, 2010

school makes me mad >:(

School's pretty crazy. I was supposed to start at UTD last fall, but due to a lazy academic advisor who wouldn't register me for classes or let me change majors because "it was more paperwork for her to fill out," my enrollment was postponed until January. The semester started out really well. Good classes, good schedule, good teachers. Everything seemed to be falling into place quite nicely. But then a few weeks ago, I found out that even though I already have an Associates degree in science, it will take at least 4 more full years for me to get a bachelors in any science major. Even if I change my major to something I don't like, the soonest I can possibly earn a bachelors is 3 full years, if I'm lucky and none of the classes I need overlap schedules. Surprisingly, UTD did accept all of my credits from the local community college. And, because UTD accepted all of my credits from the community college, they are also planning on doubling my tuition. Crazy. I know. I asked if they could somehow "un-transfer" some of those credits, and they said no. I am really not interested in paying that outrageous tuition rate for 3 years in order to get a bachelors. Right now i am in the process of applying to a surgical technology program at the community college (a surgical tech is the person in the operating room who hands equipment to the doctor and can close the patient when the doctor is done). I think I would do well in the program, and would really enjoy the job. It is a two year program. It is a hard program to get into because they only accept 12 people a year, and a lot of people apply.

3 comments:

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

well good luck getting in.
yeah that is pretty suck-ee.
nice to hear from you though- hang in there :)

Sant Family said...

That is just crazy! Truly insane. Are the all the local universities like that or are there other options? The surg-tech program does sound perfect for you.

Good luck!

Maryjo said...

Hang in there!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker