I'm really looking forward to graduation. :) People keep asking me why I chose to be a surgical tech. I chose it for lots of reasons. I wanted a job in the medical field. I didn't want to be at a desk or sitting down all day. Surg tech has very little paperwork to complete. Nurses have hours of charting and paperwork to complete for each patient every day. Surg tech has decent hours. Most surgeries are scheduled weekday daytime surgeries. There is still some nighttime, weekend, and on call, but not too bad. As a surgical tech, I get to participate in the surgeries. I like being able to get in there with my hands on. I thought about being a doctor or a PA, but I'm ready to be out of school for a while. A year ago i was thinking about it and figured I could get a job I enjoy in only 2 years, and the cost of school would only be $3000 including tuition, books, and supplies, or... I could spend 4 years earning a bachelors at $20000 a year, and then spend 3-4 years in med school or PA school paying that huge amount, and then have internships and residencies for years, and then finally be able to get a job I want and start paying off loans. When I thought about it like that, the decision was easy. So far it has been one of my best decisions ever. I am loving it. I am amazed at what they can do in surgery.
I have touched brain, held a kidney, helped deliver a baby, remove countless gall bladders, replace knees, and so many other things.
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yeah sounds like a no brained to me! Congrats on almost finishing already!! So.... What are your plans after graduating?? Staying in Texas??
Post a Comment